Monday, October 8, 2007

Stealth Teardown Destroys Part of Rogers Park's Architectural Heritage

Over the weekend, when us local bloggers are less alert, Rogers Park lost one more part of its priceless architectural heritage to the forces of rampant cronyism and over development. A historically significant doghouse located in the backyard of 1543 West North Shore Avenue was torn down in a secret, early Sunday morning demolition. For the benefit of ignorant readers, the importance of this classic Chicago bungalow style doghouse is that it is the birthplace of Dairyland Doo Doo, the fastest greyhound ever to race at the Dairyland dog track.

I was out on Sunday, hard at work performing the valuable public service of covering every light pole, newspaper box and car in Rogers Park with fliers for the Broken Liver. I returned home to thousands of frantic phone calls begging me to blog about this tragedy. There were so many messages that it took me a full 24 hours to listen to all of them and I am finally getting around to blogging.

This whole thing smells of corruption. Why was there no community meeting? What new construction is going on the site? How much money did the land owner, the developer, and the tear down contractor give to Joe NoMooreFoieGras? What precautions have been taken against explosions from ruptured gas lines? What environmental hazards do we face as a result of the demolition? Why is there no fence keeping neighborhood children from playing tractor on the demolition site? Come on Joe! Concerned citizens want to know.

BLOGNOTES: I spent a good part of the morning deleting threatening comments left on this blog by Mooreon car owners who objected to my using of their vehicles to advertise my important blog. If you don't like my fliers on your cars don't read the 'Broken Liver'. It's as simple as that.

BLOGNOTES: If anyone is tempted to doubt that the demolition is full of environmental hazards that threaten our well being then you can talk to loyal 'Broken Liver' reader Proartillary. He lives two doors away from the demolished house. He, and his entire family, are currently afflicted with fleas which no doubt came from the site of the demolished house. Proartillary said "when something threatens the safety and well being of my family I take action." Pay heed NoMooreFoieGras connected developers.

7 comments:

Knightridge Overlook said...

What, no video from Bill Morton, showing all the lazy dogs lying around? Without your extensive videographic proof, how are we supposed to know that this is true?

Bill Morton said...

You tell 'em Tom.

; )

Phughy said...

Oh, noooooo. Not another teardown. I've checked the records of this supposed owner and have found out this:

Donations to Phughy: $0.00

Simple logic tells me that if I have no money from the developer who bought this house, Joe Moore must have it. And if Joe Moore received money, no wonder why I don't have any.

This is corrupt. I hope to see a major story on the corrupt dealings by developers who tear down historic dog houses for the sake of building condos that might house people with real jobs and have real money to spend at real businesses in Rogers Park.

If Joe Moore wanted to preserve these houses, he could hire the drug dealers that stand out front to act as docents and give tours. Think of how many people would be lining up to buy crappy tours instead of crack.

Tom Banannis said...

My blog is so influential. How do I know? It's because I say so.

I am so jealous of that other guy. I'm tired of his "sick obsession" with Braig Gernliver.

That guy wants to hog Braig all himself and not share. Why I remember a time when Braig and I shared a brown bag with a half pint in it. I wanted to throw the empty to the curb, but Braig neatly folded the bag, put the screw top back on the bottle and carried both over the the recycle bin. I was bowled over by Braig's dedication to the neighborhood.

Then there was the time Braig and I decided to go for a hike along the lakefront. I wanted to bring a weapon along, fearing that we might be jumped by some of the sleeping homeless men who live under the bushes along the lakefront. Braig told me don't worry, with our bad breath, these guys won't even come near us. I was won over by Braig.

Suddenly, we started going on dates. Friday nights at the Red Line. The occasional brunch on Sundays. Braig remembered my mother's birthday with flowers. I gave him regular massages. We hung out together in public men's rooms. It was all so touching.

And then it happened. I just happened to mention to Braig, in an off-hand sort of way, that his grammar and spelling leaved something to be desired. I said that if he was a real man, he'd learn to at least use spell checker, once in a while and pass some of his longer blogs past the editor at Hay Chicago to check grammar.

Well, Braig lost it. He told me that despite my Republican (Republican with a capital R)
tendancies, he didn't want to be
seen with me. Before I knew there were no more dates. I can't even dare go back to the Heartland Cafe. The memories tear at my heart.

And now this... someother guy with a sick obsession over Braig. I just play that same song over and over again...

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Whoa, that lovin' feeling,
You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...gone...wooooooh.

Knightridge Overlook said...

If you're going to create these images, couldn't you put up a warning label?

Tom Banannis said...

Tom, if you want to see my image, the next time you're in a public men's room, and a foot slips under the stall wall and touches yours, just look thru the crack in the wall, it's me!!!!!!

If my hand slides under the wall and my fingers wave at you, it's me!!!!!

Braig Gernliver said...

Anyone who reminds readers that phughy is not a resident of the 49th ward and is instead some annoying loser who spends his days going from blog to community forum to blog and posting comments no one wants to read will be banned.